To run Kali Linux on SBC (single board computers).
Kali Linux is an friendly operating system for Ethical hackers. An IT security firm GoVanguard launched new operating system Karmbian. Now run Kali Linux on single board computers.
Builds custom Kali based Linux system optimized for RK3399 SBC and other single board computers supported by Armbian.
- Covers root filesystem generation, kernel image compilation and boot loader compilation.
- Provides a consistent user experience by keeping system standards across different SBC platforms.
Karmbian Lead developer, and GoVanguard CTO, Shane Scott, explains:
“Karmbian opens the possibility of running Kali on numerous SBCs that aren’t supported otherwise. Having it based on Armbian allows novice users to customize their Kali build for their SBC very easily.”
What do you need to get started?
- x64 machine with at least 2GB of memory and ~35GB of disk space for the VM, container or native OS.
- Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 / Focal 20.04 x64 for native building or any Docker capable x64 Linux for containerised.
- Kali 2020 x64 for native building, aria2 compiled and installed separately.
- Superuser rights (configured sudo or root access).
How to build an image or a kernel?
apt-get -y install git git clone https://github.com/GoVanguard/karmbian cd build ./compile.sh
Build parameter examples
Show work in progress areas in interactive mode:
Run build tools inside Docker container:
Build minimal CLI of Kali 2020 for the Rock64 (Not RockPro64):
./compile.sh BOARD=rock64 BRANCH=dev RELEASE=kali-rolling BUILD_MINIMAL=yes BUILD_DESKTOP=no \ KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,gpg,img
Build full desktop of Kali 2020 for the RockPro64:
./compile.sh BOARD=rockpro64 BRANCH=dev RELEASE=kali-rolling BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=yes \
KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,gpg,img
Build parameters, advanced build options, user defined configuration, build with Docker?
Where to download prebuilt images?
For RockPro64 and Rock64 visit https://github.com/GoVanguard/karmbian/releases
For others, clone the source and build them 🙂
Kali support developed by Shane Scott, GoVanguard. Credit to Armbian and all of their contributors for the base system.